In recent years, artificial intelligence (AI) has been a topic at the forefront of many people’s minds. Surrounded by both intrigue and concern, the extent to which AI will replace human workers has been hotly discussed. In a recent survey of 1,000 employees, 69% reported that they fear losing their jobs to AI, while 74% think that AI will make human workers obsolete. Despite the AI apprehension, 82% of employees feel that it is helpful. Still, will HR be replaced by AI? Most likely not–the survey also revealed that respondents believe that human resource managers are one of the professions least likely to be replaced by AI technologies.
A report conducted by the Academy to Innovate HR hypothesizes that HR roles that are repetitive with low levels of complexity are the most likely to be replaced by AI. Some roles are being increasingly affected by AI as companies explore technology as a way to eliminate human error and remove unconscious biases during the recruitment process. On the other hand, roles that require human intervention are less likely to be replaced with AI. Generally, roles that rely are of strategic importance or are heavily involved in problem-solving are less likely to disappear as AI technology continues to evolve.
The Role of AI in HR
Rather than wondering, “Will HR be replaced by AI?” A better question to ask is how will AI change HR. It’s very likely that AI will be a valuable tool for HR staff that can create new efficiencies within the HR department. According to the International Association for Human
Resource Information Management, the organization predicts that AI will have the most impact in the following ways:
- Automation: AI will likely be able to automate repetitive, administrative tasks. This frees up more time for HR professionals to focus on high-value tasks.
- Improve talent acquisition: The process of sourcing, screening, and hiring talent is often very time-consuming. AI is poised to reduce this timeline by efficiently screening candidates and eliminating human biases.
- Faster onboarding: With AI, companies can efficiently personalize the onboarding experience for new employees and connect them with the right resources to be successful in their new roles. This is important because the onboarding experience has a significant impact on retention rates.
- Effective training: AI technology is able to make the employee training process more efficient by personalizing the training experiences and identifying which training resources would be best suited for certain employees. This ensures that employees have the right skills and knowledge to be successful.
- Decision making: AI can help employees make decisions that would be typically left to the HR department. For example, AI can analyze requests that have been submitted for certain days off and inform employees requesting this time off whether or not they are likely to be approved based on already-approved requests.
- Retention: AI can help to improve retention rates by identifying employee behavioral patterns that could signal whether or not they are satisfied with their current employment. This allows company leaders to intervene before disengaged employees seek other professional opportunities.
Ultimately, as AI technology continues to evolve, the major focus should be on leveraging this technology as a tool that can help your HR staff remain competitive. After all, AI will be unable to replicate or replace a talented and experienced HR professional. It would be impossible for AI to understand the nuances surrounding employment law and compliance, human dynamics, and HR best practices. Considering this, it’s too early to downsize your HR department in favor of AI tools. The technology is still no comparison to experienced HR staff.
This means that if you’re looking to control HR costs, you still need to invest in HR talent. Fortunately, outsourcing to an experienced HR outsourcing company like Corban OneSource can unlock access to knowledgeable HR professionals. Corban OneSource specializes in working with companies that have between 75 and 6,000 employees.
Like AI, a trusted HR outsourcer is another tool in your arsenal that enables your HR department to spend less time on repetitive administrative tasks so they can instead focus on strategic initiatives that can help drive the business forward. Corban OneSource tailors our HR services to your company’s needs and complements your current team. Additionally, an HR partner can help you evaluate and assess new and emerging technologies that can be employed to make your HR operations run even more smoothly.
What is the Outlook for HR Jobs?
While concern regarding the impact of HR is normal, the answer to the question, “Will HR be replaced by AI?”, is a resounding no. As the name suggests, the human aspect is a critical, irreplaceable component. In fact, the demand for HR talent is on the rise. Last year, HR jobs were on track to grow by 13.5%. This signifies that although AI is likely here to stay, so is HR. AI also has the potential to create jobs as well, which will require HR talent to manage the hiring, onboarding, benefits, payroll, and more of these employees.
So, as your company is looking to navigate the evolving HR landscape, turning to a reputable HRO could be extremely beneficial. With experience serving companies with 75 to 6,000 employees, Corban OneSource brings efficiency and cost reduction to your payroll, benefits administration, and HR support functions.
Our services are customized to your needs so that you can focus on things that will drive real change within your organization, like culture building and long-term growth strategies. Our comprehensive HR services eliminate mistakes and ensure compliance with evolving employment laws and regulations. We help you eliminate HR headaches so your staff can focus on what they do best rather than endless, repetitive tasks.
If you’re interested in learning more about how Corban OneSource will help you realize greater HR efficiencies, contact our experienced team today! We’re ready to help you navigate HR and emerging technologies, like AI, that can impact your business.